Tuesday, 10 June 2014

ASMR

ASMR is an acronym for autonomous sensory meridian response. It's something I've experienced all my life, but only found out this week that it has a name. I've struggled previously to explain what it feels like, and when it happens. I've always used the terms "tingle in my head" when hearing a "chocolate voice". Someone with a nice, soft voice, and when they speak, it makes my brain tingle. Yes, I realise how weird I sound!

Though it is not a medically proven phenomenon, there are plenty of people who experience it, and the similarities as so similar as to show that it is actually a real thing. Here's the Wikipedia entry.

My triggers, as I have learned they're called, are soft-speaking, whispering, paper folding noises, and close-ear speaking. Turns out that accents are triggers for me too - specifically Japanese, Australian, German and Indian accents! There are a few videos I have watched, while trying to learn things, eg Blender, origami, cooking or whatever that made me tingle; I thought I'd post them here to see if they work on anyone else.





Here's a podcast of Alan Lee (one of the conceptual artists who worked on Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings films), please ignore the first voice, Alan starts speaking at about 5 minutes). Here is the podcast.

Since I started researching ASMR, I discovered so many videos on youtube, made specifically for ASMRers. Here are a few of my favourites:


This is Ally, apart from making really good ASMR videos, she's also really nice and friendly!




So anyway, just wanted to write about ASMR, as I now know it's not just me who experiences it! I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences too.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails