You will need:
100g low fat margarine
1 large free range egg (lightly beaten)
225g self raising flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt
A good pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
150-175 ml skimmed milk
1 large organic cooking apple
1 small tub organic blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 220 Celsius (gas mark 7), and put paper cases in a 12 cup muffin tin.
2. Peel, core and chop the apple; wash and drain the blueberries removing any stalks.
3. Cream the margarine and sugar until fluffy.
4. Mix in the egg.
5. Sift flour, salt and spices, and stir in lightly – do not overmix.
6. Add apple, blueberries and 150 ml of milk, stir lightly adding the remaining milk if needed. Batter should be fluffy and spongy but quite thick. Don’t worry if it looks too stodgy, the apple will add moisture while cooking.
7. Spoon evenly into the paper cases.
8. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until muffins are just starting to go golden on top. Test for doneness with a skewer, if ready the skewer will come out clean. If not, bake for a further 2 or 3 minutes.
9. Remove from muffin tin carefully (don’t burn your fingers), and leave to cool on a wire stand.
10. Enjoy with a drizzle of double cream, or without if counting calories. They make a lovely breakfast.