Thursday 11 November 2010

Plume slouch hat *free pattern*

Fits a head that is approximately 22.5 inches around (but is very stretchy, and fits smaller heads just fine) and is knitted flat and seamed afterwards. For a slouchier fit, change to a bigger needle size on the first row after the rib.

Tension: 4 inches = 11 sts in k1, p1 rib.

You will need:
5 mm needles
Chunky yarn (about 112 metres of Sirdar Click Chunky)


Pattern:

CO 62 sts.
K1, p1 rib for about an inch.

The next 2 rows are the set up rows. I’ve had some messages about how to do the first set up row, so I decided to write it all out to make it a bit easier to understand.

First set up row:
(RS) P1, k1, p2, k2, kf&b, k4, kf&b, k3, p2, k1, p2, k2, kf&b, k2, kf&b, k1, kf&b, k2, p2, kf&b, p1, k2, kf&b, k2, Kf&b, k1, kf&b, k2, p2, k1, p2, k2, kf&b, k4, kf&b, k3, p2. You should now have 73 sts.

Second set up row:
(WS) K2, *p13, [k5] repeat from * omitting between the [ ] on the 3rd repeat, to last 4 sts, k4.

This means you K2, then p13, k5 three times, then p13 once. You should now have 4 sts left, k4.

Pattern starts here:

P1, k1b, p2, *k4tog, (YO, k1) 5times, YO, k4tog, [p2, k1b, p2[ repeat from * omitting between the [ ] on the 3rd repeat, to last 2 sts, p2.
K2 *p13, [k5] repeat from * omitting between the [ ] on the 3rd repeat, to last 4 sts, k4.
P1, k1b, p2, *k13, [p2, k1b, p2] repeat from * omitting between the [ ] on the 3rd repeat, to last 2 sts, to last 2 sts, p2.
K2 *p13, k5 repeat from * to last 4 sts, k4.
Repeat these 4 rows until piece measures about 6 or 7 inches in length (the longer it is, the slouchier it is).

Begin crown shaping (only 17 rows left):

1. P1, k1b, p2tog, *k4tog, (YO, k1) 5times, YO, k4tog, [p2tog, k1b, p2tog] repeat from * omitting between the [ ] on the 3rd repeat, to last 2 sts, p2. 66 sts on the needle.
2. K2 *p13, [k3] repeat from * omitting between the [ ] on the 3rd repeat, to last 3 sts, k3. 66 sts.
3. P1, k1b, p1, *k2tog, k9, k2tog, [p1, k1b, p1] repeat from * omitting between the [ ] on the 3rd repeat, to last 2 sts, p2. 58 sts.
4. K2 *p11, [k3] repeat from * omitting between the [ ] on the 3rd repeat, to last 3 sts, k3. 58 sts.
5. P1, k1b, p1, *k3tog, YO, k2, YO, k1, YO, k2, YO, k3tog, [p1, k1b, p1] repeat from * omitting between the [ ] on the 3rd repeat, to last 2 sts, p2. 58 sts.
6. K2 *p11, [k3] repeat from * omitting between the [ ] on the 3rd repeat, to last 3 sts, k3. 58 sts.
7. P1, k1b, p1, *k11, [p1, k1b, p1] repeat from * omitting between the [ ] on the 3rd repeat, to last 2 sts, p2. 58 sts.
8. K2 *p11, [k3] repeat from * omitting between the [ ] on the 3rd repeat, to last 3 sts, k3. 58 sts.
9. P1, p2tog, *k3tog, k2tog, YO, k1, YO, k2tog, k3tog, [p3tog] repeat from * omitting between the [ ] on the 3rd repeat, to last 2 sts, p2. 35 sts.
10. K2 *p7, [k1] repeat from * omitting between the [ ] on the 3rd repeat, to last 2 sts, k2. 35 sts.
11. P2 *k7, [p1] repeat from * omitting between the [ ] on the 3rd repeat, to last 2 sts, p2. 35 sts
12. K2 *p7, [k1] repeat from * omitting between the [ ] on the 3rd repeat, to last 2 sts, k2. 35 sts.
13. P2 *k3tog, YO, k1, YO, k3tog [p1] repeat from * omitting between the [ ] on the 3rd repeat, to last 2 sts, p2. 27 sts
14. K2 *p5, [k1] repeat from * omitting between the [ ] on the 3rd repeat, to last 2 sts, k2. 27 sts.
15. P2 *k2tog, k1, k2tog, [p1] repeat from * omitting between the [ ] on the 3rd repeat, to last 2 sts, p2. 19 sts.
16. K2 *p3tog, [k1] repeat from * omitting between the [ ] on the 3rd repeat, to last 2 sts, k2. 11 sts
17. K1 *k2tog, repeat from * 5 times. 6 sts.

Cut a long tail, and using a sewing needle thread the yarn through the 6 sts and pull tight.
Seam and weave in ends.

36 comments:

Vicki Boster said...

A guy that knits and cooks- I think I am in love! You have a great blog- love your recipes and interesting topics. Love this hat pattern- thank you for making it free! Love that you're gay- in my opinion- a girl's best friend is a gay guy! Thanks for an interesting visit.
Vicki

Andrew Craig Williams said...

Aww shucks, I'm blushing! Thank you for your lovely words, you've made my day!

Caitlin said...

so in the last 17 rows, on row 4 and row 11 there are no [ ] around any stitches, i put the [ ] around the k3, is that right? and in row 11 i don't know where to put it.

also, the "to last 2 sts", you mean at the end of the row right? because sometimes you say "to last 2 sts, k4 (or k3)", so my beginner brain isn't understanding

Caitlin said...

and with k1b, do you mean knit 1 below or knit 1 back

Andrew Craig Williams said...

Hi Caitlin. many apologies! I wrote "last 2 sts" on a row and forgot to change it when I wrote the other rows! I've corrected the pattern now so you'll know where the [ ] go.
Sorry for any confusion!

Kryssie said...

Andrew... beautiful work by the way...
I am having an issue with the count after the set of 4 rows...
After working the 1st row... K4 tog with the K1 YO etc... I am left with 69 sts always... I have ripped it 4 times... I have counted etc.. I am so confused...
Thanks for your time...

Kryssie said...

on the first set of 4 rows.. I end up with 69 sts always...

after the K4tog and K1 YO etc

Andrew Craig Williams said...

Hi Kryssie, I think I might know what you're doing. I think you're missing out the YO before the last k4tog. Here's the lace part of that row written out fully, see if it makes it any clearer for you:
K4tog, k1, YO, k1, YO, k1, YO, k1, YO, k1, YO, k4tog.
So there are 5 YO's. Does that make sense? Please let me know if not ;)

Kryssie said...

Hi Andrew...
Unfortunately, I thought that was it too... but it is not... I went through the whole row after and recounted... all the stitches are there and add up to 69.

I am stumped...

I am wondering if I should add a YO before the K1 as that is the only fix I can see. Hahhaa I am really stumped.

Andrew Craig Williams said...

Hi again Kryssie! Are you ensuring that you knit both set up rows correctly? You CO 62 sts, but in the 1st set up row you increase to 73 sts. Are you increasing on the 1st set up row? I've had a few emails about this as I had written it confusingly, but on the pattern page now I have written it all out stitch by stitch. I just knit that row to check and I got 73 sts. Maybe that's the problem?

Kryssie said...

Well, Andrew... thanks for your trying, but I just am not getting anything but 69 sts after.... I even went to different needle and casted on 73.... tried it and got that...

As long as K1b is still knit one back then I am stumped. I am going to get my gf to try it and see if I can see what I am doing wrong if she gets 73.

Thanks again... I am sooo sad, because it is a beautiful pattern.

Andrew Craig Williams said...

Hi Kryssie, K1B is knit one below. But that shouldn't make a difference to the count anyway! The only otger thing I can suggest is that you get your gf to knit that row for you!! Good luck with it, please let me know how it goes. Thanks, Andrew x

Andrew Craig Williams said...

Kryssie! Please accept my apologies, I just saw an error in the pattern! Oh my gosh I'm so sorry - you're not going mad! It *should* read: k4tog, (YO, k1) 5 times, YO, k4tog. I had the YO and K1 the wrong way round and missed a YO. I'm really sorry, I'm such an idiot.
I've changed the pattern now. Please try again and let me know how it goes.
Andy (dumbass)
x

Kryssie said...

Hey Andrew....

Hahhahaaaa mad at you... no way... and here is why....
You created a beautiful pattern and I am honored to be able to knit the hat for my girlfriend for Christmas. Can't wait to show you..

Thank you, Thank you Thank you for sticking out all my comments... hahhahaa....

Cheers!! Kryssie

Kryssie said...

... hahhaa..... I thought you asked if I was going to be mad.... hahhaa see how easy it is to mis read or over see something... so there you go... it happens to all of us... hahhaaa

Kryssie (dumbass)

Andrew Craig Williams said...

Hi Kryssie! Can't wait to see the finished article. Are you on Ravelry? If so, add me and I'll put you down as a test knitter.
Thanks for being so understanding, Andrew x

Jodi said...

Thank you for this awesome free pattern. I have recently started my own business and have been crocheting and knitting hats like mad.I finally had the chance to make myself a hat and I really wanted a cute slouchy one. I found your pattern and have finished the hat in one day. I love how it looks on me and am so excited to finally have a hat for myself. Thanks again. -Jodi

Andrew Craig Williams said...

Hi Jodi, you're very welcome! I'm glad you liked the hat pattern, and even gladder that you like the end product! I've just had a quick peep at your blog, you've made some lovely things. Are you on Ravelry? If so add me, my name on there is Dagobah.
Thanks
Andrew x

e.Blackie Designs said...

Beautiful hat! I can't wait to get started on it. I noticed the fountain stitch in there :3 my favorite!!! Ty so much and I'll let you know how it turns out.

Dani said...

Hi Andrew! I am in love with the pattern and just went out today and bought my yarn and I am now on the part that says to knit on the wrong side, I am sort of new to knitting, so I am not quite sure how to knit on the wrong side! Could you walk me through the process please?

Andrew Craig Williams said...

Hi Dani, glad you like the pattern! It's easy to understand - the right side, is the side that you wear facing out (the side that people see), and the wrong side is the side you wear facing in (the side that nobody sees). So when knitting a hat, the outside is the right side and the inside is the wrong side. On a plain bit of knitting the knit is on the right side, and the purl is on the wrong side. Hope that helps! :)

Katchen said...

Lovely pattern Andrew - thank you very much!

This was my first successful lace knit piece, and I'm really happy with it.

I'm probably going to post to ravelry as you were kind enough to share in the first place; do you mind if I post my knit in-the-round amendments?

Obviously I don't plan to post the full pattern; I intend to post links & proper credit, alongside my adjustments, but won't if you prefer I don't!

Andrew Craig Williams said...

Hi Katchen, thanks for such a lovely comment! Please do post the full amendments, they'll be helpful to people who prefer knitting in the round. I make most of my patterns free, and I'm happy for people to post alterations in the share-a-like spirit!
Thanks
Andrew x

Jefreaux said...

OK I'm having trouble here; Love this hat; having someone make for me as I am no knitter... What AMERICAN yarns cross reference with the yarns used for the Plume slouch hat? Bernat Chunky doesnt work well at all...HELP!!!

Jefreaux said...

I need your help please...IDK if the first comment went thru but if its moderated you can delete it. I LOVE the plume hat; a friend is trying to make it for me however we have run into a snag. American chunky vs. European chunky...it isnt working for her. the pattern is geting lost...so what American yarn would cross with the yarn you used?

Andrew Craig Williams said...

Hi Jeffrey, Sirdar Click chunky would be classed in America as "Bulky / 12 ply (7 wpi)" so if you tell your friend that, they should be able to find something suitable. Maybe try Red Heart Comfort Chunky. Shout if you need any more help!
Thanks
Andrew

Sammy said...

I live your pattern! Thank you so much for sharing :) I was wondering if there is a way to sub the chunky yarn for medium weight without mucking up the pattern? Thank you so much!!!!

Andrew Craig Williams said...

Hi Sammy, I'd change to skinnier needles, and maybe add in one or two more pattern repeats. Knit a swatch in the pattern first to measure.

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrew...can't wait too start pattern...buy why do you indicate we need two yarns...do we knit with 2 stands

Andrew Craig Williams said...

Hi Sherry-Ann. No you don't knit with 2 strands, just one. If you look at my Ravelry page for this pattern: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/plume-slouch-hat you will see that I knitted one in Sirdar click, and one in Wendy Mistral - but any chunky yarn should work. Hope you enjoy knitting it, would love to see a picture once it's done!
Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm working on this beautiful hat. What omitting means? How do I do that?

Andrew Craig Williams said...

Hi anon, "ommitting" means to leave out.

jj7576 said...

I love this hat! Is it available as a PDF so I can download it and open it in my iBooks? I would love to be able to take the pattern to work to use it when I'm bored...

Andrew Craig Williams said...

Hi, no it's not available as a pdf sorry - I might make all my free patterns into a book one day - but I don't have the time to do it just yet. Thanks.

Unknown said...

Is there any way to knit this in the round? I detest seaming!

Andrew Craig Williams said...

Hi Debbie - so sorry, I only just saw this comment!! Yes there is, a very helpful person on Ravelry has worked it in the round: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/jesshatlen/plume-slouch-hat :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails