Thursday 9 June 2011

Toksvig and Burchill (I'm team Sandy, obvs)

I just read this uninformed, unimaginative opinion piece.

Regardless of what one thinks of Sandi Toksvig (I personally think she's quite a hoot), this drivel by Julie Birchill smacks of bullying. Bullying of the worst kind. It borders on homophobia, xenophobia, and even misogyny. I am an advocate of the C-word. I use it to mean both friend or mate, and horrible person. "Alright, Sandi, you cunt?", I may say to a friend, or "That Julie's a cunt" about someone I dislike. I also use the words prick, dick and cock (even though I have one) to mean, basically, idiot.

I'm sorry if my use of any word offends somebody reading this, that certainly isn't my intention. My intention is to say how nasty I think Julie Birchill has been in this piece; and why I don't think it should have been published on the Independent's site - a paper I normally like.

I'll leave you with a quote from a very intelligent young woman:
"Fear of a name only increases fear of the thing itself."
Hermione Granger

2 comments:

Nic said...

Anybody who attracts the ire of Julie Birchill instantly goes up in my estimation. That line about "I'm glad she's gay; at least she won't be reproducing" was hateful, even for her. The sooner she shuffles off to the Daily Mail, the better.

Andrew Craig Williams said...

Hollol gywir, Nic / Totally true, Nic. What a detestable woman she is.

Related Posts with Thumbnails