Thursday 28 March 2019

Nocturnes

These nocturnes were inspired by Chopin (and also the work of Hans Zimmer). I used melodies and basslines from a series of Chopin's nocturnes. I used sampled, stretched, and synthesized piano. I chopped and/or reversed the samples. I programmed harmonic and non-harmonic arpeggios, and added mathematical echoes to some of the notes. I changed the key of each sample, before collaging them together. 

Each track is named after a species of British bat. 





The album includes three bonus tracks, and a 10 page pdf booklet. The running time is two hours and 16 minutes. All for £5.

"For the first time, since he came nigh dead born
From the old womb of night, his cave forlorn
Had he left more forlorn; for the first time,
He felt aloof the day and morning’s prime—
Because into his depth Cimmerian 
There came a dream, shewing how a young man,
Ere a lean bat could plump its wintery skin,
Would at high Jove’s empyreal footstool win
An immortality, and how espouse
Jove’s daughter, and be reckon’d of his house." 

From "Endymion" by John Keats. 

I hope you enjoy listening to this as much as I enjoyed making it x

1 comment:

kerry said...

Enjoying
This
Moment

Related Posts with Thumbnails