Monday, 19 April 2010

Normal service will be resumed

My experiment to write a novel in 30 days has come a cropper. There's 6 days left and I'm only halfway through. I've finally stopped beating myself up about it though. I totally chose the wrong month to write a novel: work is busy at the moment and I'm buying a house!

I am very pleased with what I've done so far, but I'm still upset with myself for having to change the terms of the contract. I'm now going to try and write (at least) a thousand words every day until it is finished. I've made sure I've written all the major parts of the story, and I'm now drawing everything together, filling in the gaps, and starting to arrange the chapters.

It's gone off in a lot of different directions, and surprised me in many ways too: one character who was alwasy going to die, didn't. I ended up really liking the character and found it easy to write him - and I want to write about him again, but I wouldn't be able to if I knew he'd end up dead. Also a new character appeared, and I don't know where she came from. She's going to stick around too.

I wish ìt could all have been done in the 30 days, but this month hasn't allowed - but I have the bare bones, and a lot to work with. I should be thankful for that.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails